Enforcing Court Orders

When you get a divorce in Florida, the courts will impose the terms of your divorce – such as alimony to be paid or who the children will living with primarily. However, once the divorce decree is set, you may find that your spouse is reluctant to comply with the terms of the decree or is uncooperative.

Since you are relying on your spouse to keep up their part of the agreement – for example, if they were ordered to pay alimony or child support, you may need these funds to pay bills  or provide for your children – their failure to cooperate may leave you feeling vulnerable and like you have no recourse.


How To Enforce Court Orders

The first step to enforcing the court’s orders for your divorce decree is to retain a skilled, aggressive family law attorney who can answer your questions and let you know what your options are. At Chopin & Chopin, LP, we are committed to supporting you when you need it most. We can help you get together the necessary documentation, paperwork and evidence required to illustrate that your spouse is not meeting their responsibilities under the divorce decree and petition the court to enforce the orders.


What Can Be Enforced Under Florida Law

There are many aspects of a divorce decree that can be enforced under Florida family law, including but not limited to:

  • Child support payments 
  • Alimony and spousal support
  • Visitation rights and time sharing

How Court Orders Can Be Enforced

There are many ways the court can enforce the orders under the divorce decree, including:

  • Suspending the non-compliant spouse’s driver’s license
  • Garnishing the non-compliant parent’s wages or salary
  • Finding the non-compliant parent in contempt of court with possible consequences of jail time

At Chopin & Chopin, LP, we will thoroughly investigate the facts in your case and will help you develop a sound case that will enable you to be successful at petitioning the court to enforce the orders under your divorce decree. Call today for a consultation.